Book Review: Windfall (Jennifer E. Smith)

Smith's Windfall was my first book of 2017 - I randomly checked it out on Overdrive in a moment of boredom, and I was pleasantly surprised. Read on for my thoughts.

Summary
Alice, Teddy, and Leo are practically joined at the hip. After Alice's life changes dramatically during childhood, she moves in with her cousin Leo, and her aunt and uncle. Teddy, Leo's best friend, soon becomes Alice's best friend, and the three grow up together.
Flash forward to the night of Teddy's 18th birthday. Alice and Leo are hoping to allow him to experience all his new adult freedoms, and purchase him, among other items, a lottery ticket. Alice spends time picking out the numbers so that each one has a special meaning. Teddy's jersey number, their birthdays... What she didn't anticipate was that the ticket would actually win.
The story that ensues is sometimes endearing and sometimes heart-wrenching, as Teddy learns to navigate his new wealth, which also brings relationships into his life - both new and old. And Alice must decide if luck is real, and whether she has a shot at it, and at love.

What I Liked
Overall, I really enjoyed the story. It was a quick and engaging read, with characters who were lovable and relate-able. I enjoyed Alice's back story, and how well it informed her character growth. Teddy felt realistic, in that he's an idiot 18-year-old boy.

What I Didn't Like
There isn't much of anything in this novel that I took issue with. I do wish that perhaps Alice hadn't been so closed off - with such a warm and loving adoptive family, you'd think she would have healed some from her childhood trauma. However, this is simply personal preference and doesn't detract from the story in any way.

Rating
For me, this book is a 4.0/5.0. It was well-written, and I think a perfect YA romance.

Recommended For
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys clean-cut YA romance, or stories about overcoming obstacles.

Read Alike Authors and Novels
Kasie West - P.S. I Like You
Cammie McGovern - Say What You Will
Jennifer E. Smith - The Geography of You and Me

Let me know what you think of Windfall in the comments! Happy reading!

Comments

Popular Posts