Book Review: To All the Boys I've Loved Before (Jenny Han)

Han's trilogy starring the lovable Lara Jean has been on my radar for awhile - I first heard the books mentioned by The Worst Bestsellers on their podcast. I was lucky enough to find the books on super sale at my favorite place (a.k.a. Books-A-Million), and eagerly plowed through the three delightful volumes with gusto.

Summary
Lara Jean is one of "the Song girls", stuck smack in the middle of Margot (her perfect older sister) and Kitty (her annoying, yet lovable, younger sister). The three girls live with their father, who is a doctor; their mother has been gone since Kitty was a baby. Lara Jean is 16, and what one might call a "hopeless romantic" - so much so, that she's written letters to every one of her serious crushes. Of course, she didn't send the letters. She just wrote them, to get the feelings out.
The lives of the Song girls is headed towards major change: Margot is leaving for college, and not just across town, but across the ocean - she'll be attending St. Andrew's in the UK. As preparation, Margot breaks up with her long-time boyfriend Josh. Coincidentally, Lara Jean happens to be crazy-mad in love with Josh...
That's when the unthinkable happens. Apparently, Lara Jean's letters were mailed? To her past and current crushes? In the chaos that follows, Lara Jean has to mature and adapt and learn to exist in a world where every boy she's ever loved knows it - and some want to act on it.

What I Liked
I really liked this story. I found Lara Jean and Margot to be endearing, and Kitty was everything I imagine a pre-teen sister to be. The girls' father is sweet and scatterbrained, but clearly loves his children more than anything. Lara Jean's love interests are cute and alluring - perfect for a 16-year-old to be crazy over.

What I Didn't Like
I have no criticisms of the book from a writing standpoint. I found myself off and on annoyed with the male characters, but I think I was annoyed by their actions rather than by the writing. And honestly, who isn't consistently annoyed by 17- and 18-year-old boys?

Rating
For me, this book is a 4.0/5.0. It was well-written, a sweet little romance, and a great first part of a trilogy.

Recommended For
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys YA romance, or love triangles!

Read Alike Authors and Novels
Jennifer E. Smith - Windfall
Kasie West - The Distance Between Us
Sarah Dessen - Just Listen

Did you also love TATBILB? Tell me! Happy reading!

Comments

Popular Posts